html code for clock
Sight Supporters
free forum
Forum Theme Songs
Join the NRA
Latest topics
» 9MM Carbine
Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 am by Alley_Oop Mod/Admin

» JOE SCARBOROUGH, PIERS MORGAN: OBAMA SCANDALS PROVE GUN ADVOCATES AREN'T CRAZY
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:13 am by UncleFrank

» California Approves $92M Ammo Tax To Combat Gun Violence
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 am by UncleFrank

» Benghazi as Lazarus, Back from the Dead
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:03 am by UncleFrank

» Georgia Gov. Deal orders Bibles returned to state-owned park
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:57 am by UncleFrank

» STATE DOJ: BUSTS REVEAL UNPRECEDENTED CARTEL PRESENCE IN OREGON
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:54 am by UncleFrank

» North Korea fires three short-range missiles as Japan envoy pays “secret” visit
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:46 am by UncleFrank

» WHITE HOUSE OFFICIALS BLAME STATE FOR NOT DEPLOYING RAPID-RESPONSE TERROR UNIT TO BENGHAZI
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 am by UncleFrank

» Obama Is No Richard Nixon
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:37 am by UncleFrank

» Obama Keeps Eyes on The Prize in 2014
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 am by UncleFrank

» Benghazi Ghosts Haunt Whitehouse
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:47 am by UncleFrank

» Obama’s Constitutionally-Challenged Labor Board Silent After Losing Another Legal Battle
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 am by UncleFrank

» 7 Things We Learned from the Benghazi Whistleblower Hearing
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:43 am by UncleFrank

» Four More Things We've Learned
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 am by UncleFrank

» Five Key Points from Today's Benghazi Hearing (So Far)
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 am by UncleFrank

» DOJ: We don't need warrants for e-mail, Facebook chats
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 am by UncleFrank

» When An Old Soldier Dies
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 am by UncleFrank

» Presence of Malice: Against the Conservative Portrait of the President
Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 am by UncleFrank

» DEM SENATOR: 2ND AMENDMENT NOT 'ABSOLUTE' OR 'GOD-GIVEN RIGHT'
Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 pm by UncleFrank

» NRA Convention Protesters: Nice, Clueless, Unsure
Wed May 22, 2013 3:06 pm by UncleFrank

New Videos
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Forum

Share | 

How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
UncleFrank
Honored Armed Service Member

PostSubject: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm

By Joshua Prince, Esq.

With the recent surge in senseless active shooter situations that our nation has faced, including the Aurora Colorado movie theater shooting and the Newtown Connecticut elementary school shooting, many of my clients, friends and family have inquired of what they can or legally should do in such situations, especially when occurring in a school, when the Federal Gun-Free School Zone prohibits the possession of firearms on school property and many property owners prohibit possession on their property.

Unfortunately, there is no great legal answer; rather, the answer is more of a moral and ethical decision. Hence, while there will be some laws inter-spliced into this article, it isn’t intended to be legal advice on what to do in a particular situation, as the facts of each scenario could likely change my legal conclusion, but I will tell you what I will do if confronted by such a situation. Furthermore, and let’s be honest, if you find yourself involved in ANY situation where you have to pull your firearm, you are NOT going to be reviewing the law in your head. If you are, you are already dead. You need to have a plan and react; not consider the legal ramifications.

I want to start off by saying that no one can tell anyone else how they should or shouldn’t respond to such a situation. This is an individual decision for which you will have to live with for the rest of your life, no matter how long or short that life will be. Does your duty lie with protecting your family? If so, how so? If you are able to get your family out of restaurant stick-up, without any injury to them, do you stay with them? Or do you go back to attempt to save the clerk and other patrons? If you go back, do you know your family is safe outside? What if there is a get-away driver that now sees them and considers them eye-witnesses? Or, if you stay outside with your family, will you be able to live with the fact that the clerk was shot in the face and her family will never have the opportunity to say goodbye or let her know how much they love her? Oh yeah, how will you explain your decision to her children when they ask “why is mommy is not here?”

As you can see, there are no great answers. Every potential response or action comes with it the possibility of other harm and potential death. However, being prepared through training and ensuring that all family members are armed, so that one family member can stay with the children, while the other deals with the direct threat, can substantially reduce these concerns, while increasing your family’s likelihood of survival. Nevertheless, like everything else, sometimes all the planning in the world won’t change the outcome. So, can you live with that?

I may have scared some readers off by now and that’s fine. That’s the purpose of this article. If you haven’t considered these scenarios already, you aren’t planning enough. If you have considered them, but not with the above specificity (which, quite honestly, is just the tip of the iceberg), you are not prepared. Get prepared. Think through different situations. Devise a plan for each. Implement that plan, if necessary.

Having briefly discussed training/mindset, and believe me that the above is merely the pinnacle of the tip of the iceberg, the next issue to consider is active shooter versus a hold-up situation. As we have seen, active shooter situations usually involve a lone assailant (although there have been times where there were 2-3), where he or she seeks to kill anyone that he or she comes into contact with, without concern. Most interesting aspect to active shooters is that, while they may prepare to fight to the death by suiting up with body-armor, they will generally commit suicide when presented with resistance, such as an armed citizen responding to the gunfire. (It is interesting to note, as James Yeager did in his video on Active Shooters that 8 out of 10 times, where an active shooter is confronted by an UNARMED citizen, the active shooter will also commit suicide. He also notes that 2/3rds of the time, active shooters are stopped by civilians, not law enforcement).

This is reflected to a T by a recent mall shooting that was thwarted by an individual, Nick Meli, who was carrying a firearm in the mall, even though the mall had signs prohibiting him from possessing a firearm. Without firing a shot because he could not obtain a clear line of fire, Mr. Meli was successful in causing the shooter to realize the resistance he presented and causing the active shooter to commit suicide by shooting himself. Unfortunately, this has gone unreported by the major TV networks.

Generally, if an active shooter isn’t killed or doesn’t commit suicide before capture, he or she will explain themselves in terms of going up against “the man.” The man is not defined; rather, it is everything that the individual believes or perceives is coming down upon that individual or the cause for the individual’s misfortune, or perceived misfortune. Unlike the hold-up situation, the active shooter perceives everyone, even those not anywhere nearby, as a threat that must be killed. In the hold-up situation, the robber(s) are there for a specific goal, such as stealing money; whereas, the active shooter has no goal other than to kill people. Furthermore, where, generally speaking, the robber will want to limit casualty as much as possible, for fear of the judicial system if caught, the active shooter has already realized that he or she will not survive the day and has no concern over facing the judicial system, as he or she will be dead.

The problem with active shootings is that they always seem to occur at locations that prohibit the possession of firearms. As James Yeager points out in the above video, 38% of active shooter situations occur in schools and an additional 17% at Universities/Colleges (for a total of 55% involving educational facilities). Thank god was have a Gun-Free School Zone, right? Other soft-targets that prohibit possession of firearms, like movie theaters, malls and an businesses make up the remainder. Do you see a theme? When is the last time an active shooter entered a gun store? Or an active shooter began shooting in front of the police? They won’t because they will be killed before they can kill “the man.” While they may be psychotic, they aren’t stupid.

So, for many, the problem becomes complying with the laws and regulations, while trying to protect those that you love. Do you carry into that movie theater, knowing that, at a minimum, you are violating that business owner’s policies and probably also violating several criminal laws? What about a school? Would you go into an active shooter situation at a school, if no police were currently present? I will because I would rather be judged by twelve than see someone else carried by six.

In these situations, most states, including Pennsylvania, already recognize that there may come a time where someone has to break the law for the greater good. This is known as either the Doctrine of Necessity or Justification. 18 PA.C.S. 503 declares, “Conduct which the actor believes to be necessary to avoid a harm or evil to himself or to another is justifiable if: (1) the harm or evil sought to be avoided by such conduct is greater than that sought to be prevented by the law defining the offense charged; (2) neither this title nor other law defining the offense provides exceptions or defenses dealing with the specific situation involved; and (3) a legislative purpose to exclude the justification claimed does not otherwise plainly appear.”

But, again, are you going to be concerned with the law, if presented with such a situation? I will not be.

For me, I will defend another life, regardless of age, sex, nationality, creed, religion, or political belief. I will equally defend those that I love with those that I despise; provided, neither are causing the harm to others. If necessary, I will use lethal force against someone that I love so to protect those who I don’t know. One, two, five, or any combination thereof, of bullets will not stop me. I will only stop when the threat is neutralized or my body fails due to excessive loss of blood or organ failure, neither of which is likely. I will continue to defend others regardless of the position or condition that I find myself in. I will not concern myself with violating the Gun Free School Zone or violating some business owner’s right to preclude me from his property while armed. I have chosen to be judge by twelve rather than see someone else carried by six. If charged, I will stand upright at all court proceedings and will accept the sentence imposed by the jury of my peers. I will not beg, grovel or ask for leniency because of my acts. In accepting the sentence, I will forgive those on the jury, if any, who don’t accept or condone my actions. I will spend my sentence not in regret; but rather, in joy knowing of all those lives that have been saved and the benefit that they will provide to this world in the years to come.

For those of you who never read or heard of the One Warrior’s Creed by Steven R. Watt, I post it below. These are some of the most powerful words that I have ever read and will live my life by them until my last breath:

One Warrior’s Creed

If today is to be THE DAY, so be it.

If you seek to do battle with me this day you will receive the best that I am capable of giving.

It may not be enough, but it will be everything that I have to give

and it will be impressive for I have constantly prepared myself for this day.

I have trained, drilled and rehearsed my actions so that I might have the best chance of defeating you.

I have kept myself in peak physical condition, schooled myself in the martial skills

and have become proficient in the application of combat tactics.

You may defeat me, but you will pay a severe price and will be lucky to escape with your life.

You may kill me, but I am willing to die if necessary.

I do not fear Death, for I have been close enough to it on enough occasions that it no longer concerns me.

But I do fear the loss of my Honor and would rather die fighting than to have it said that I was without Courage.

So I WILL FIGHT YOU, no matter how insurmountable it may seem, and to the death if need be,

in order that it may never be said of me that I was not a Warrior.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 pm

I have been there and know exactly how I will react if given the scenario! Absolutely no doubt what that decision will be!

EXPERIENCE IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU DON'T GET WHAT YOU WANTED!

There are only two defining forces that have ever offered to die for you!
Jesus Christ for your soul and the American Soldier for your freedom!
Back to top Go down
http://texasconcealedhandguninstructor.com
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:30 pm

I never was in that kind of predicament. I hope I know what is expected of me.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Anything will work except freezing up or turning tail and retreating!!! JMHO!! That used to be one of the problems with partners on the street - always had one of three choices: freeze up, retreat or do something and most always did the wrong thing! LMAO!!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:57 pm

It seems that when in a life threatening scenerio, there is only one coarse to take. I dont think I could take partners that could not make a clear choice. I mean if you can not, then you are in the wrong line of work.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:38 am

Yet there are many out there that will never know how they will react when it happens. Hesitation is fatal and usually for yourself! TWIT!!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:49 am

First shot usually wins.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 am

First "accurate" shot wins!!! GGG!!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:38 am

I stand corrected. Ya know I just got a thought...If you get the draw on some sic bastard like the one that killed those babies, he should be taken to an obscure part of the building, outside, dowsed with gas and then sent a blaze. Saving the tax payers much $$$$ and the peace officers time.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:55 am

At the point in time you were to wast the idiot, you just might be justified in doing so. However, if you delay and stop the threat then act to eliminate, could possibly and probably will be not justified and end up costing you dearly! Just want to make sure the force is justified at the time it is used!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:18 pm

I know that. Just blowing a little smoke. GGG!!!!! Unfortunately there just is too many rules to abide by for my liking.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Life is all about rules! It just depends on who is making them and what they are making them about!!! WIT!!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:55 am

I have never care for rules.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Life is all about rules! There are some good and some bad. The thing that has to be done is to be in a place where the rules you have to abide by are not overreaching and offensive. We all have different tolerances and some can operate better than others under the same set of rules. It is when you are in a place that you loose respect for and refuse to abide by a given set of rules when problems come about and it gets ugly! I know exactly what you are talking about when you say you don't care for rules. It just means there are sets of rules that do not sit well with you. Not that you do not conform and abide by a set of rules because we all do.

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:33 am

In my childhood my mother instilled in me some common rules I still live by. God Almighty gave me and others the Ten Commandments to live by, and I try hard, maybe sometimes not hard enough to follow.We learn so many lessons as we get older and it’s only in quiet contemplation that we can really think about the rules we have learned along the way. Every one of us have rules we live by, whether we realise it or not. Here are a few rules I have learned so far and I still am finding new ones.

1.Question everything.
2.A happy wife, is a happy life.
3.Take responsibility for your life up to this point.
4.Believe in your ability to change your circumstances.
5.Trust your first instinct.
6.Want the good things in life, but don’t need the good things.
7.Don’t buy until you have the money in your account.
8.Never regret what has happened in the past, you can’t change it.
9.Always put your family first.
10.Don’t gossip.
11.If you haven’t used it in 6 months, give it to charity.
12.Make your peace with death when you are still healthy.
13.Believe in your own higher power, nobody else’s.
14.Practice the art of listening.
15.Help others without expecting anything in return.
16.Help yourself first, that way you have more capacity to help others.
17.Don’t get married under pressure.
18.Work for someone as a means to work for yourself.
19.Stay in touch with your family and friends.
20.Get angry with life when you feel the need, life can soak it up just fine.
21.Don’t compare your life to others, you are on a different path altogether.
22.Never settle for second best.
23.Prepare in advance for your own confidence.
24.Don’t give your power away by letting others dictate how you feel.
25.Stop trying to read everyone’s mind, it can’t be done.
26.Hug as much as you can.
27.Believe in the power of serendipity.
28.Get some sunshine every day.
29.Don’t spend half your life in bed, grab the life outside your head.
30.Study nature, it’s a gift waiting to be discovered.
31.Say ‘I Love You’ from the heart.
32.Cut down on your TV time.
33.Love your partner with everything you have, but don’t depend on them for anything.
34.Know your values in life and start living by them.
35.Learn to argue your point.
36.Always admit to your mistakes in life and look to rectify them.
37.Give everyone one chance.
38.Don’t tell everyone all your problems all the time, you just become a pain.
39.Never pick your nose at the dinner table when you have company.
40.Don’t be confined by rules, break them every once in a while.

Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:40 am

See!! What I said!!! GGG!!! Like it or not, we all have rules that we adhere to. Yours and mine just appear to not be the same as everyone else's rules!!! I think yours and mine are probably better than theirs and certainly appear to have worked well for us!!! TWIT!!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Yes...but those are our rules!!! Not some sick kool aide sucking left wing politically correct degenerate's!!!
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:00 pm

So send them to NY or CA and they can leave the rest of us the hell alone!!! TWIT!!!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:55 am

Deport the lot of them, we don't need them compromising our rights or our precious breathing air with their diseased thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 am

If we were to do that, NY adn CA wold be deportation!!! LMAO!!!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Huh?!?
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:28 am

Just saying close off borders to NY and CA. Fix it where you can go there but cannot come back!!! Then it would be deportation to send someone there!!! LMAO!!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:32 am

Ok as long as they are out of the picture completely.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:19 am

Then the rebuilding process could start in earnest! Would be a much better world!! JMHO!!

Back to top Go down
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:42 pm

I agree, the world would be a better and safer place when all leftist commies are 6 feet under. It is the only way. IMO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Respond to an Active Shooter Situation?   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next