html code for clock
Sight Supporters
free forum
Forum Theme Songs
Join the NRA
Latest topics
» 9MM Carbine
Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 am by Alley_Oop Mod/Admin

» JOE SCARBOROUGH, PIERS MORGAN: OBAMA SCANDALS PROVE GUN ADVOCATES AREN'T CRAZY
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:13 am by UncleFrank

» California Approves $92M Ammo Tax To Combat Gun Violence
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 am by UncleFrank

» Benghazi as Lazarus, Back from the Dead
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:03 am by UncleFrank

» Georgia Gov. Deal orders Bibles returned to state-owned park
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:57 am by UncleFrank

» STATE DOJ: BUSTS REVEAL UNPRECEDENTED CARTEL PRESENCE IN OREGON
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:54 am by UncleFrank

» North Korea fires three short-range missiles as Japan envoy pays “secret” visit
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:46 am by UncleFrank

» WHITE HOUSE OFFICIALS BLAME STATE FOR NOT DEPLOYING RAPID-RESPONSE TERROR UNIT TO BENGHAZI
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 am by UncleFrank

» Obama Is No Richard Nixon
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:37 am by UncleFrank

» Obama Keeps Eyes on The Prize in 2014
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 am by UncleFrank

» Benghazi Ghosts Haunt Whitehouse
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:47 am by UncleFrank

» Obama’s Constitutionally-Challenged Labor Board Silent After Losing Another Legal Battle
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 am by UncleFrank

» 7 Things We Learned from the Benghazi Whistleblower Hearing
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:43 am by UncleFrank

» Four More Things We've Learned
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 am by UncleFrank

» Five Key Points from Today's Benghazi Hearing (So Far)
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 am by UncleFrank

» DOJ: We don't need warrants for e-mail, Facebook chats
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 am by UncleFrank

» When An Old Soldier Dies
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 am by UncleFrank

» Presence of Malice: Against the Conservative Portrait of the President
Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 am by UncleFrank

» DEM SENATOR: 2ND AMENDMENT NOT 'ABSOLUTE' OR 'GOD-GIVEN RIGHT'
Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 pm by UncleFrank

» NRA Convention Protesters: Nice, Clueless, Unsure
Wed May 22, 2013 3:06 pm by UncleFrank

New Videos
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Forum

Share | 

Foreign Hackers Target U.S. Water Plant

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
UncleFrank
Honored Armed Service Member

PostSubject: Foreign Hackers Target U.S. Water Plant   Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:33 am

I was only a matter of time that this would occur. China and Russia both said they would step up these kinds of attcaks.

Foreign hackers targeted U.S. water plant in apparent malicious cyber attack, expert says
By Ellen Nakashima
Foreign hackers caused a pump at an Illinois water plant to fail last week, according to a preliminary state report. Experts said the cyber-attack, if confirmed, would be the first known to have damaged one of the systems that supply Americans with water, electricity and other essentials of modern life.

Companies and government agencies that rely on the Internet have for years been routine targets of hackers, but most incidents have resulted from attempts to steal information or interrupt the functioning of Web sites. The incident in Springfield, Ill., would mark a departure because it apparently caused physical destruction.

Federal officials confirmed that the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security were investigating damage to the water plant but cautioned against concluding that it was necessarily a cyber-attack before all the facts could be learned. “At this time there is no credible corroborated data that indicates a risk to critical infrastructure entities or a threat to public safety,” said DHS spokesman Peter Boogaard.

News of the incident became public after Joe Weiss, an industry security expert, obtained a report dated Nov. 10 and collected by an Illinois state intelligence center that monitors security threats. The original source of the information was unknown and impossible to immediately verify.

The report, which Weiss read to The Washington Post, describes how a series of minor glitches with a water pump gradually escalated to the point where the pump motor was being turned on and off frequently. It soon burned out, according to the report.

The report blamed the damage on the actions of somebody using a computer registered to an Internet address in Russia. “It is believed that hackers had acquired unauthorized access to the software company’s database” and used this information to penetrate the control system for the water pump.

Experts cautioned that it is difficult to trace the origin of a cyber-attack, and that false addresses often are used to confuse investigations. Yet they also agreed that the incident was a major new development in cyber-security.

“This is a big deal,” said Weiss. “It was tracked to Russia. It has been in the system for at least two to three months. It has caused damage. We don’t know how many other utilities are currently compromised.”

Dave Marcus, director of security research for McAfee Labs, said that the computers that control critical systems in the United States are vulnerable to attacks that come through the Internet, and few operators of these systems know how to detect or defeat these threats. “So many are ill-prepared for cyber-attacks,” Marcus said.

The Illinois report said that hackers broke into a software company’s database and retrieved user names and passwords of control systems that run water plant computer equipment. Using that data, they were able to hack into the plant in Illinois, Weiss said.

Senior U.S. officials have recently raised warnings about the risk of destructive cyber-attacks on critical infrastructure. One of the few documented cases of such an attack resulted from a virus, Stuxnet, that caused centrifuges in an Iranian uranium enrichment facility to spin out of control last year. Many computer security experts have speculated that Stuxnet was created by Israel — perhaps with U.S. help — as a way to check Iran’s nuclear program.

Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Hackers Target U.S. Water Plant   Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:37 am

When you engage i this type of behavior, you should expect someone to use it against you! TWIT!!!

EXPERIENCE IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU DON'T GET WHAT YOU WANTED!

There are only two defining forces that have ever offered to die for you!
Jesus Christ for your soul and the American Soldier for your freedom!
Back to top Go down
http://texasconcealedhandguninstructor.com
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Hackers Target U.S. Water Plant   Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:48 pm

This cyber warfare has been going on for some time now. This is nothing new. The Pentagon has been attacked for awhile and it happens many times a day. This is the first one to the infrastructure. This week in Northern N.J. There has been sabatoge at one water plant where someone has got into the control panel and has been fiddling with the buttons for flouride disperstion and for valves I beleive for diverting sewerage. I'm going to buy a ceramic filtering device so I can get water out of my pool if this happens in my area. They dont cost very much and I think it is time to become a little less dependent on the grid.
Back to top Go down
Alley_Oop Mod/Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Hackers Target U.S. Water Plant   Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:09 pm

That is a smart move! We have a private well and I also have a generator that will run the well. Actually there is a 35oo watt generator that runs on gas and then my diesel welder, Miller Bog 50 has a 7KV or 8KV generator on it! I think if wired correctly it would run most things in the house. Over the holidays I will get my electrician buddy to look it over and tell me what I need to get for him to wire it in where if needed I can pull it in the garage and turn it on and plug in!! Have four food grade 330 gallon framed containers that I can store water in long term so I would not have to run the generator but 15 to 20 minutes to fill them up! I think that is just being smart in these times to be prepared!! TWIT!!

EXPERIENCE IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU DON'T GET WHAT YOU WANTED!

There are only two defining forces that have ever offered to die for you!
Jesus Christ for your soul and the American Soldier for your freedom!
Back to top Go down
http://texasconcealedhandguninstructor.com
UncleFrank

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Hackers Target U.S. Water Plant   Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:03 pm

You got a good deal going on there. I was looking at a stainless steel 4 ceramic filter for around $250. I also ordered some sample entrees of Moutain House freeze dried to taste test. If I like them I'll buy some 30 day buckets of them. I went to this place called Epicenter. I bought 2 each of 2 dinner entrees and 2 of the breakfast entrees.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foreign Hackers Target U.S. Water Plant   

Back to top Go down

Foreign Hackers Target U.S. Water Plant
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1