html code for clock
Sight Supporters
free forum
Forum Theme Songs
Join the NRA
Latest topics
» 9MM Carbine
Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:14 am by Alley_Oop Mod/Admin

» JOE SCARBOROUGH, PIERS MORGAN: OBAMA SCANDALS PROVE GUN ADVOCATES AREN'T CRAZY
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:13 am by UncleFrank

» California Approves $92M Ammo Tax To Combat Gun Violence
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 am by UncleFrank

» Benghazi as Lazarus, Back from the Dead
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:03 am by UncleFrank

» Georgia Gov. Deal orders Bibles returned to state-owned park
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:57 am by UncleFrank

» STATE DOJ: BUSTS REVEAL UNPRECEDENTED CARTEL PRESENCE IN OREGON
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:54 am by UncleFrank

» North Korea fires three short-range missiles as Japan envoy pays “secret” visit
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:46 am by UncleFrank

» WHITE HOUSE OFFICIALS BLAME STATE FOR NOT DEPLOYING RAPID-RESPONSE TERROR UNIT TO BENGHAZI
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:42 am by UncleFrank

» Obama Is No Richard Nixon
Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:37 am by UncleFrank

» Obama Keeps Eyes on The Prize in 2014
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 am by UncleFrank

» Benghazi Ghosts Haunt Whitehouse
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:47 am by UncleFrank

» Obama’s Constitutionally-Challenged Labor Board Silent After Losing Another Legal Battle
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 am by UncleFrank

» 7 Things We Learned from the Benghazi Whistleblower Hearing
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:43 am by UncleFrank

» Four More Things We've Learned
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:41 am by UncleFrank

» Five Key Points from Today's Benghazi Hearing (So Far)
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 am by UncleFrank

» DOJ: We don't need warrants for e-mail, Facebook chats
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 am by UncleFrank

» When An Old Soldier Dies
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 am by UncleFrank

» Presence of Malice: Against the Conservative Portrait of the President
Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 am by UncleFrank

» DEM SENATOR: 2ND AMENDMENT NOT 'ABSOLUTE' OR 'GOD-GIVEN RIGHT'
Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 pm by UncleFrank

» NRA Convention Protesters: Nice, Clueless, Unsure
Wed May 22, 2013 3:06 pm by UncleFrank

New Videos
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Forum

Share | 

Take the Nolan Test

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freedom.
Admin

PostSubject: Take the Nolan Test   Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:56 am

Are you Left, Right, Libertarian, Centrist, or Statist?

It is a short test, ten questions. See how you do.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
also a slightly different one here

One persons take on the Noland test

Topic: About the Chart
Dissecting the Nolan Chart litmus test
Litmus tests, rigged polls and framed debates make a search for real solutions unrealistic.by Phaedrus
(libertarian)
Thursday, December 13, 2007

I was glad to see a site based on the Nolan Chart, but perturbed to see so little representation from other points of view, be they centrist or statist, liberal, or conservative.

So I decided to dig into the matter. First the good:

I've been enjoying the articles on nolanchart.com for months. At last, a political site, experiencing rapid growth, that gathered together lots of good writing on topics I cared about, with a web 2.0 business model that potentially rewarded authors for their words with a dirt simple, published contract! Applause!

I love the ground rules. No ad hominem or personal attacks, and cite (preferably link to) your sources. These are the two most important rules that I wish the mainstream media would apply to itself.

Those two rules are an absolute requirement for civilized and productive discourse.

Now the bad:

After spending all this time here, I started aching for dissent.

I couldn't help but notice that there was almost no-one linked to off of the Nolan Chart graphic that wasn't a libertarian. I wanted to find out why, and I also wanted to post articles on interesting problems that posed challenges to the libertarian viewpoint, in a forum where they could be discussed.

So I applied to be an author today, only to find that the questions asked of new authors are all framed to toss nearly every sane person into the libertarian bucket. This sort of framing is no better than what the MSM does to people when they force people into their frame of reference, and no more useful.

I actually had a very different first piece in mind when I first thought about writing here, but I'll get to that if y'all let me stay around after showing up in your home and criticising the furnishings....

I think that the Nolan Chart is a far more useful means of describing political discourse than the ancient left/right dichotomy, but it can only be useful if former members of the left/right ideological framework agree to use it.

I would like it if the site's questionaire was vetted by members of each ideological group to place their viewpoint in the best possible light.

Take question 8, for example:

8. Social
Security Typical Libertarian View: Let people control their own retirement and they'll retire richer and better off. The Social Security system is already bankrupt, despite what the politicians and bureaucrats keep telling us.
Allow individuals to choose for themselves whether to opt out of the Social Security system. If we force everyone to remain in its pyramid scheme, the end result will be disastrous. We must act now before Social Security becomes completely insolvent.

Typical Conservative View:
Social Security should be maintained and protected by the government, although we do need to offer individuals an alternative government-managed solution if they so choose.

Typical Liberal View:
Social Security is a vital part of the social safety net and should be properly funded and protected at all times. If necessary, make big business and the rich pay for any shortfalls.

Typical Statist View:
Government has an obligation to provide for people in their twilight years, and Social security is a proper expression of governmental control. The system is sound and does not need anything more than minor adjustments
from time to time.

It is perfectly reasonable for a statist or liberal to believe that Social Security is a desirable social program, and also believe that that it is bankrupt and needs to be fixed.

In almost every case in the questionaire, every sentence describing the non-libertarian options available frames the options negatively.

Secondly, there should be more questions, total, on more issues than the top 10 questions here, and every question should have a fifth potential answer by default: Don't give a hoot. (DGAH)

Without actually having authors that represent the political spectrum, you end up with a site that is talking only to itself,
and whining because nobody important is paying attention.

- Phaedrus

Here is another interesting test.

The US Constitution and the Bill of Rights are written in stone, they as well as the Christian Scriptures need no editing nor changes !!
Back to top Go down
Freedom.
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Take the Nolan Test   Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:22 am

I was surprised to learn that according to this test I am a Libertarian.
Always thought of myself as a Conservative. Who knew Question

The US Constitution and the Bill of Rights are written in stone, they as well as the Christian Scriptures need no editing nor changes !!
Back to top Go down
VietVet68
Honored Armed Service Member

PostSubject: Re: Take the Nolan Test   Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:08 pm

I too was ID'd as a Libertian. Who knew?
Back to top Go down
Freedom.
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Take the Nolan Test   Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:11 pm

I do not totally agree with this guys definition of Conservative.
But for the most part I do fit the Libertarian.
But I still feel like a Conservative.

Back to top Go down
VietVet68

PostSubject: Re: Take the Nolan Test   Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:02 am

I have to say that I prefer not to be associated with any political party, I prefer to look at the people and, what they have done and what they say they will do, do they have credibility? In my opinion anyone that says they are a Libertarian, Republican or Democrat have no idea what they are committing to. Who knows the true agenda for these groups and how far they will go to keep the facade intact.
Just think about what John Edwards has done and what he might have done in the White House. This man is nothing but a set of white, flashy teeth and a quick smile, underneath that is a man of selfish concerns. Ask your self Do I want to be affiliated with an organization that claims him as a member of their party? Disgusting isn't it? He is just one example but he's my favorite since it was discovered that he asked his aide & his wife to take the child born to his mistress and raise it as their own so he could avoid being held accountable for his actions. Salute
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Take the Nolan Test   

Back to top Go down

Take the Nolan Test
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1